5 Ways In Which PCOD Can Be Treated Naturally
PCOD stands for polycystic ovarian disorder. It is a common endocrine condition seen in women. The symptoms of PCOD include irregular periods, weight gain, acne breakouts, hair thinning, etc. The cause of this disorder is insulin resistance and hormonal imbalance.
But did somebody tell you that the symptoms of PCOD can be eased out by bringing some simple changes in lifestyle and diet? Below mentioned are some of the ways which can help you in treating this reversible condition naturally:
1. Dietary Changes
A nourishing and well-balanced diet can help regulate hormonal balance and the menstrual cycle. To begin with, one can bring about changes in diet like:
- Eating whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. These are free from artificial sugars and preservatives. Also, they are unprocessed and thus prevents inflammation and insulin resistance.
- Striking a balance between carbohydrates and proteins is a must. Proteins produce insulin in the body while carbs help in improving insulin sensitivity. So, Instead of trying a low-carb diet, focus on getting enough healthy protein from sources like nuts, legumes, etc.
- Opting for Anti-inflammatory foods like olive oil, tomatoes, leafy greens, fatty fish, etc. as PCOD is a low-level chronic inflammation.
- Increasing the Iron intake as some women suffering from PCOD experience heavy bleeding during their period. This can result in iron deficiency in the body. Including spinach, eggs, broccoli, etc. is beneficial.
- Cutting out Caffeine consumption can help in improving estrogen levels and hormone behavior. So, it is better to replace coffee or tea with herbal tea or green tea.
2. Try Adaptogen Herbs
When your body cannot regulate insulin, it starts building up in the body and cause higher levels of male sex hormones called androgens. Adaptogen herbs claim to aid your body in balancing these hormones. Some adaptogen herbs are also effective against other symptoms of PCOD, like irregular periods.
Some common adaptogen herbs include Maca root (for hormonal balance and lowering cortisol levels), Ashwagandha (reduces stress), Basil (reduces blood sugar and prevents weight gain), licorice root (reduces inflammation), etc.
3. Start Exercising Regularly
Gentle, low-impact exercises like yoga or Pilates are beneficial in improving symptoms of PCOD. Swimming and light aerobics are also recommended.
4. Practice Good Sleep Hygiene
Sleep affects stress levels and helps regulate cortisol to balance the hormones. Some of the ways in which one can maintain sleep hygiene are:
- Aim for eight to ten hours of sleep per night.
- Establish a regular bedtime routine
- Avoid stimulants and rich, fatty foods before bedtime.
- Avoid using a screen (mobile or laptop) before going to sleep.
5. Reduce stress
Reducing stress can regulate cortisol levels. Taking walks outside and creating space in your life for relaxation and self-care are all impactful in managing stress and anxiety.
So, introducing some changes in the way we eat or live can cause a chronic disorder like PCOD to take a reverse root easily. Talk with your doctor too on the same, if you are thinking to adopt any of the above-menioned strategies.