How To Lose Weight And Maintain It? All You Should Know
Imagine yourself sweating it out in the gym or sticking to a strict diet regimen consistently to reach your ideal weight goal. You manage to achieve your perfect weight goal, but can you make your success last? If you are looking for tips to lose weight and maintain it, this article is a must-read.
Losing weight and keeping it off, in the long run, are two different end goals. Fret not! It just takes a few scientifically-backed tweaks and consistent efforts to maintain that elusive weight goal. Don’t celebrate just yet for knocking off the extra kilos successfully, but instead be on your guard to prevent that inevitable regain. It is time to adopt some painless and practical strategies to make your weight loss success story last long.
There is no ‘one size fits all’ weight loss solution as every person’s metabolism is different, and it responds differently to lifestyle changes, so here are a few useful tips to lose weight and keep the fear of bounce back at bay. Go ahead and follow the advice that appeals to you the most. Good luck!
Why People Tend To Regain Weight?
Extreme or fad diets often result in quick weight loss, but they may slow down your metabolism over time and eventually result in weight gain. In other cases, people see diet as a quick-fix and often give up as soon as they achieve their ideal weight, resulting in regaining their earlier kilos. So, instead of focusing on diet or exercise rules, adopt healthy habits and make lifestyle changes that help you, in the long run, to maintain a fit body.
Top 9 Tips To Lose Weight And Keep It Off!
Here are nine healthy habits or strategies you should practice for permanent weight loss–
- Eat a hearty breakfast – Research studies show that eating a wholesome breakfast helps you feel energetic and satiated throughout the day. If you are in a rush, grab a bowl of whole-grain cereals topped with seasonal fruits or drink a glass of low-fat smoothie to kick-start your day. Skipping your breakfast is a strict no-no as it will lead to binge eating throughout the day.
- Choose an active lifestyle – Run your errands on foot, use the staircase, shake your legs with your kids, hit the gym, go for a swim, cycle your way to work, in short, exercise whenever you can to burn off those extra calories and boost your metabolism. Any consistent physical activity such as brisk walking, strength training, cardio and weight lifting is an absolute must for maintaining optimal weight. The key is to follow a fitness routine for at least 30 minutes a day, five times a week.
- Monitor your carb-intake – It is essential to pay attention to the types and amount of carbs in your diet for effective weight maintenance. Limit your carb intake, avoid consuming refined carbs and replace them with whole grains instead. A low-carb diet will turn your body into a fat-burning machine and help you in shedding weight. Also, whole grains are a rich source of fiber that improve your digestion.
- Include more protein in your diet – Increasing your protein consumption has multiple benefits. It can help you lose weight, preserve your health and build muscle mass. A high-protein diet can reduce food cravings by up to 60% and make you feel full for longer hours than usual. This is because protein helps increase the level of hormones in the body that induce satiety or fullness. Further, you burn more calories in digesting protein-rich foods.
- Choose your calorie-intake wisely – Avoid consuming sugary drinks such as sodas, alcohol, sports drinks that may add extra calories without adding any nutrients to your diet.
- Weigh yourself regularly – Regular weight-check is a fundamental step for weight maintenance. Weighing yourself keeps you aware of your progress and encourages you to monitor your eating habits. People who frequently measure their weight count their calorie-intake every day and follow a disciplined lifestyle to prevent obesity.
- Manage your emotional triggers – Are you eating out of boredom? Does food calm you down if you are under stress? Do you often overeat if you skip a meal? Many of us do not eat to satisfy hunger. We turn to comfort food to satiate emotional triggers due to stress, loneliness, boredom or low blood sugar. It is crucial to curb your mood swings to prevent eating disorders and avoid derailing your weight loss journey.
- Be mindful of what you are eating and when – Eat slowly and avoid distractions to avoid overeating. Also, stop eating before you are full. According to a Japanese diet rule or Hara Hachi Bu, you may feel satiated when your stomach is around 80% full, and it’s an indication to stop eating right there.
- Try a customized weight management program – If your weight loss efforts are not paying off, it is best to consult an experienced nutritionist to find a customized and sustainable diet plan. Oliva’s ‘Beyond Weight Loss’ program does not only help you knock off the extra baggage but ensures you reap long-term health benefits and prevent lifestyle diseases. Get started with your fitness revolution at Oliva today!
Now, hurry up and start making healthy choices to keep obesity away. You may find being health-conscious overwhelming at first, but it will soon become your second nature as you get used to being fit. So keep up the good work and keep that weight off!